Women in Ophthalmology
Since being established, the Women in Ophthalmology (WIO) group has undertaken several initiatives to increase female representation on RANZCO committees and in leadership roles, and to help women succeed at all levels of their ophthalmology careers. In recent years, the WIO has established a core Advisory Group to better support female trainees and Fellows, advocating on issues that enable greater gender equality in ophthalmology and medicine more broadly. Check out the Women in Ophthalmology Strategic Plan 2021-2023.
The Women in Ophthalmology encourage all RANZCO Fellows and trainees to connect and support their colleagues, and to engage in College activities at all levels. By working together, we are stronger doctors, we are a stronger College, and we are stronger advocates for our patients.
WIO Speaker Bureau
The RANZCO WIO Speaker Bureau* is a listing of RANZCO Fellows and trainee ophthalmologists who have expressed their willingness to speak at ophthalmic events.
- If you are looking for a speaker for your next event, you can search by location and area of ophthalmic interest. Each speaker has included their best contact details.
- If you’re a RANZCO Fellow or trainee and would like to add your details, please complete the submission form.
Click the image on the right to view who we have so far.
*The members listed here are not endorsed by RANZCO as official spokespeople of the College. The views they express are not the official views of the College unless otherwise stated.
In addition to creating a comprehensive guide of available speakers to assist event organisers with achieving diversity, the WIO are keen to promote events that have met the RANZCO target of 35% female representation. The RANZCO Tick was developed in conjunction with the RANZCO Board. If you believe your event has met or exceeded the target, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for the Tick. You will need to share your finalised event program. We hope that your organisation can use the Tick to help market your event. It demonstrates a commitment to gender equality, diversity of thought and excellence.
WIO 2021 Video Series
In early 2021, the Women in Ophthalmology Video Series, Myths and Realities, was launched and is still available on demand. The informative and entertaining series features outstanding female ophthalmologists from around the world talking about Myths and Realities, clinical or otherwise. The details can be found below.
- Webinar 1 – Two Myths and Realities of Glaucoma, Prof Anne Coleman
- Webinar 2 – A Woman in Ophthalmology, Myths and Misconceptions, A/Prof Christine Chen
- Webinar 3 – From Myth to Reality: The Evolution of Therapy for Retinal Venous Occlusive Disease, Dr Julia Haller
- Webinar 4 – Myths and Realities of Eye Care in Africa, Prof Ciku Mathenge
- Webinar 5 – From Myth to Reality: Uveitis, Prof Justine Smith
- Webinar 6 – Direct Ophthalmoscopy, Prof Valerie Biousse
This webinar is brought to you by RANZCO’s Women in Ophthalmology with support from Johnson & Johnson Vision, and produced by Purple Sherbet PR.
Last updated: May 11, 2022