The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists delivers a Vocational Training Program (VTP) for medical practitioners wishing to become specialist ophthalmologists in Australia and New Zealand. The objective of the VTP is to produce a specialist ophthalmologist who, on completion of training, is equipped to undertake safe, autonomous, comprehensive, general ophthalmology practice. In leading the delivery of the VTP, the College recognises the importance of ensuring transparency and fairness to provide a consistent and robust trainee selection process.
Medical practitioners are eligible to register for selection if they meet all RANZCO prerequisites:
- Medical degree with full registration to practice medicine in either Australia or New Zealand at the time of application.
- Citizenship or permanent resident status of Australia or New Zealand is essential for being a trainee of RANZCO. If awaiting confirmation of an applicant’s status, this must be confirmed by 1 April prior to the multiple mini interviews (MMI). The selection application fee is not refundable at the time of application.
- Completion of a minimum of two years (including the intern year) full-time postgraduate prevocational experience at the commencement of ophthalmology training including a minimum of 18 months of broad experience in non-ophthalmic medical, clinical and surgical settings within such posts.
The percentages to assist with selection are as below:
- Curriculum vitae 20% – scholar 5%, rural exposure 5%, indigeneity 5%, and other attributes 5%
- References 35% – medical expert 24%, scholar 1%, and professional attributes (communicator, collaborator, manager, health advocate, and professional) 10%
- Situational Judgement Test 20% – professional attributes 20%
- Multiple Mini Interview 25% – medical expert 5% and professional attributes 20%
- 2019 Guide for Applicants to the VIC Network
- 2018 Feedback for Applicants to the VIC Network
- 2019 Guide for Applicants to the New Zealand Training Network
This page will be updated as more information becomes available. All enquiries regarding selection should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow at least one business day for a response.
Last updated: July 9, 2019